Pea & Mint Risotto
25th October 2017
Soft and creamy risotto rice is the perfect comfort food for your baby, though you could use the same quantity of white long-grain rice (or half white/half brown) for convenience instead. The pea, leek and mint purée adds a great colour and flavour to the mild-tasting rice and could even be served on its own, or as a side with chicken, fish, pork or lamb. A small amount of cheese is included here, but take care not to give too much to babies under the age of one as it can be high in salt.
Serves 3 (babies/young children)
9 - 12 months
- 75g/3oz risotto rice 100g/3½oz frozen peas 2 baby leeks, sliced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 5g/¼oz unsalted butter
- 20g/3⁄4oz Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Put the rice in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to low and simmer, stirring frequently, for 15–18 minutes or until the grains of rice are tender and creamy.
- While the rice is cooking, place the peas and leeks in a separate pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, cover the pan and simmer for about 5 minutes or until tender, then drain.
- Tip the vegetables and mint into a food processor, or use a hand blender, and blitz to a purée. Drain the rice and return it to the pan, then add the butter, most of the Parmesan and vegetable purée, and stir until combined. Using the back of a fork, mash the risotto to a creamy consistency then sprinkle over the remaining Parmesan.