Turkey & Red Pepper Baby Burgers
25th October 2017
We all love burgers and these mini ones are perfect for babies. They are made with protein-, iron- and vitamin B-rich turkey mince. Here they are served in a bun – or with a bun, for young children – with ketchup, but you could serve them with other favourite accompaniments or as a meal-cum-finger-food with steamed vegetable sticks and pitta bread.
Makes 8 burgers | ❄ Suitable for freezing (uncooked)
12 - 15 months
- 4 seedy oatcakes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped 325g/11½oz turkey mince 75g/3oz roasted red peppers
- in oil, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- ½ tsp dried thyme 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Sunflower oil, for cooking
- Mini burger buns
- Quick Tomato Ketchup
- Put the oatcakes in a food processor and blitz to fine crumbs, tip into a large bowl and set aside.
- Put the onion, garlic, mince, red peppers and thyme in the food processor and blend until coarsely chopped. Spoon the mixture into the bowl with the oatcake crumbs and stir in the egg and a little black pepper.
- With damp hands, form the mixture into eight small burgers; they will be quite wet but will hold together when cooked. Add enough oil to coat the base of a large frying pan and set over a medium heat. Add four of the burgers and fry for 3–4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm in a low oven while you cook the remaining burgers. Serve in/with a bun with ketchup, or finely chop.